- Baltic Gender brochure pdf version available now to download
- Click to download our postcard!
- A blog entitled "Behind the Science” brings personal stories of scientists, technicians and other support staff to life. You can read about the career paths of outstanding female marine scientists and technicians at different stages of their career. Another series describes the experiences of researchers in sharing the care of children and elderly in the family.
- Annual meeting of Baltic Gender took place at the end of May in Helsinki. About 30 project members attended this meeting, which focused on implementation of GEPs, national legislations and indicators.
- Baltic Gender gave an oral presentation at EGU General Assembly 2017 in session EOS8 - Promoting and supporting equality of opportunities in geosciences.
- Baltic Gender mentoring scheme is now running and includes early career scientists and engineers from all disciplines of marine S&T within the participating institutions.
- Baltic Gender Data Management Plan Pdf version available now to download.
- The Advisory Board of Baltic Gender is set up and ready to give the project support during its lifetime. The AB will be overseeing the progress of the project and will give its recommendations after every annual meeting.
- Baltic Gender started with a kick-off meeting in October 2016.
Marine Science and Technology is traditionally a male-dominated field, with a significant lack of women in leadership positions. Therefore, there is an urgent need for change. Baltic Gender responds to the need of harvesting the whole capacity of men and women alike at all levels of research and in the technology teams to tackle the various challenges lying ahead in the marine environment.
Baltic Gender is an EU-funded project that brings together eight scientific institutions in five countries around the Baltic Sea to work on reducing gender inequalities in Marine Science and Technology. The project has been funded for 4 years, starting on the 1st of September 2016, by the HORIZON 2020 programme under the call for promoting “Gender Equality in Research and Innovation” and the topic of “Support to research organisations to implement gender equality plans” (GERI-4-2015). This topic is funded in 2016-2017 under SwafS call.
Acting as a platform for the exchange of institutional practices and the transfer of knowledge between the consortium partners, Baltic Gender will work towards the establishment and implementation of Gender Equality Plans in its partner institutions. These plans play an important role in committing institutions to long-term approaches, realistic targets and concrete measures. The project will also establish practical schemes and innovative strategies that promote gender equality.
Specific aims of the project are as following:
- to promote gender-balanced career advancement in Marine Science and Technology,
- to establish strategies for promoting a family-friendly working culture,
- to identify meaningful and effective structural changes in the partner institutions leading to an improvement of gender equality,
- to develop methodologies for the enactment of gender-sensitive marine research,
- to build competence and skills in gender sensitive teaching methods,
- to initiate gender focused training and mentoring in or across all partner institutions,
- to develop recommendations to guide the implementation of Gender Equality Plans.
Baltic Gender Coordination Office
GEOMAR Helmholtz Centre for Ocean Research Kiel
Marine Meteorology, (West Shore Campus)
Düsternbrooker Weg 20, Room 417
D-24105 Kiel, Germany
Project manager: Dr. Başak Kısakürek Ibsen
phone: +49 431 600-4056