Tools for Gender Equality Plans
- The Gender Equality in Academia and Research (GEAR) tool provides universities and research organisations with practical advice and tools through all stages of institutional change, from setting up a gender equality plan to evaluating its real impact.
- These tools for action, based on good practices brought together by the experience of the INTEGER project, are designed for peer research and higher education institutions seeking to improve the position and progression of women researchers through the implementation of gender action plans.
Gender equality awards in higher education and research institutions
- TOTAL E-QUALITY is an initiative in Germany that promotes equal opportunities for women and men and diversity in the workplace. Since 1996, it is managed by ta non-profit organization. This initiative awards a certificate to organisations from the private sector, science and administration that successfully implement gender equality in their personnel and organizational policies.
- Since its establishment in 2005, Athena SWAN (Scientific Women’s Academic Network) award scheme for gender equality has become a widespread means to address barriers for women's advancement and leadership in higher education and research in the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, the United States of America, and Canada.
Gender equality in Marine Science and Technology
- The Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission of UNESCO (IOC-UNESCO) has an initiative for Women Marine Scientists, with the objective of creating role models for girls to identify with and follow. The website offers some stories of women marine scientists, who have dedicated their lives to marine sciences and to the protection of the marine environment.
- The European Institute for Gender Equality (EIGE) published a report on gender equality policies and gender mainstreaming in the fisheries sector (2016).
- Elsevier's report on research performance through a gender lens, Gender in the Global Research Landscape (2017), spans 20 years, 12 geographies and 27 disciplines.
- She Figures provide key statistics on the position of women in science in the EU, across disciplines and acedemic positions. Latest issue: She Figures 2018 (and the She Figures 2018 Handbook), European Commission.
Analytical measures, targets, indicators
- The EU funded EFFORTI project established a toolbox that can be used to analyze how gender equality related interventions contribute to the achievement of gender equality objectives in research and innovation.
- Science Europe developed a Practical Guide to Improving Gender Equality in Research Organisations (2017). Part two deals with "How to Monitor Gender Equality", proposing quantitative indicators (p. 26-36):
- The EC Expert Group on Policy Indicators for Responsible Research and Innovation (RRI) suggests a set of qualitative indicators for gender equality in its report Indicators for promoting and monitoring Responsible Research and Innovation (2015, p. 26-28):
- The EU-funded GENDER-NET project formulated recommendations for the development of transnational indicators in four specific areas: gender equality plans; leadership involvement; funding instruments; mobility. See the report entitled Synthesis report on selected structural change initiatives and indicators for monitoring of state-of-play and progress (2015), pages 16-17:
- Country-specific information on legislative and policy backgrounds for gender equality in research in Europe can be found on the EIGE website.
mainstreaming/tools-methods/ gear/legislative-policy- backgrounds
- The Swedish Secretariat for Gender Research developed Guidelines for Gender Mainstreaming in Academia (2016). The purpose of the guideline is to facilitate the establishment of gender mainstreaming, for example during problem assessment, prioritisation and organisation.
- A GenPORT report, Analysis of Policy Environments (2015), summarises the key ‘gender and science’ policy making infrastructures in Europe by reviewing the role of policy actors within the national science policy contexts, the issues that policies at different levels are addressing, and the key mechanisms by which they are doing so.
Integrating a gender dimension in research
- Gendered Innovations website provides recommendations, examples, case studies and tools for sex and gender analysis in research content for various scientific fields.
- The EU-funded GENDER-NET project developed the IGAR tool: Recommendations for Integrating the Gender Analysis into Research. Guidelines and checklists have been developed for Research Funding Organisations, Grant Applicants and Peer Reviewers / Evaluators. Useful references and examples are also provided, along with IGAR indicators.
- The Toolkit for Integrating Gender-Sensitive Approach into Research and Teaching (2015) was prepared within the EU-funded structural change GARCIA project.
- Yellow Window developed a Toolkit about Gender in EU-funded Research (2011) that addresses both the gender dimension of research content (with case examples from nine different scientific fields) and women's participation in research activities.
- CERCA institute developed a video on recruitment bias in research institutes (2016). The ERC is using it to train their evaluation panels.
- The EU-funded LIBRA project produced a Recruitment Handbook (2017) for inclusive, transparent and unbiased recruitment processes.